30.9.10

Aafje Heynis

Years ago I got a nice present,CD by dutch contra alto Aafje Heynis - as it usually happens,I didn't get it at first and find her too serious and wooden (I must have been in completely different world back than) but eventually the right moment came (probably after I heard her contemporary,Kathleen Ferrier so I became familiar with this kind of music) and suddenly I re-discovered Heynis again,this time around thinking how lovely and beautiful she is.

Heynis belongs to post-WW2 generation of classical singers in The Netherlands and made nice little career out of singing Bach and other ultra-serious works - her recordings are not easy to find these days,but if you see them,grab them immediately,it's my recommendation. She has recorded for "Phillips" label through 1960s and lot of her music was on vinyl LP recordings,so look out for them in second-hand record stores - I have for example found unexpected recording where she sings title role in Gluck's "Orpheo et Eurydice" (1962) and she is absolutely stunning.

If you know Kathleen Ferrier,it's kind of very similar kind of voice - Heynis sounds very serious,committed and sincere. I wouldn't be surprised if she was deeply religious person in personal life,because her singing has very spiritual quality,very very lovely and calm at the same time. Perhaps what I like best about her music & singing is that she was recording classical work but not in theatrical way,hers was reflective and serene,slightly melancholic way and that is why it sounds timeless today.

To hear her serious,lovely voice soaring while backed only with church organ on some of Bach sacred songs is pure Heaven.

Too often I find today's recorded classical music simply gimmicky so it helps to look back at Aafje Heynis and remember what real quality really is,it's simply timeless.

No comments: